How to Bacon!
Published on June 14th, 2017 by Jess Maffey
Our Bacon Festival is pretty popular, and if you’ve been with us before, you know that you may spend some time in line to get the most sizzlin’ tasting plates.
We get it! Here are some ways to make that time in line go by just a little faster.
1. Work it backwards – start with dessert! Grab something for your sweet tooth before getting in line for your main event:
- Destini’s Joys – Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Granny’s Ice Cream – Bacon Ice Cream Sundae
- King of Pops – Chocolate Bacon popsicle
- Soul Ice – Italian Ice
2. Play a game of Bacon I-Spy with your neighbors:
- Bacon t-shirt
- Train crossing the Main St. Station trestle
- A three-legged dog
- Socks & sandals
- Tattoo of a pig
- Devils Backbone logo
- 5 different RVA logos
- Fidget spinner
- Our event photographer
3. Multitask your crew – One person in the beer line (there will be two beer trucks & two ticket sales booths), one person in the food line, and one to grab some snacks to have in line along the way! Devils Backbone is bringing:
- Pear Lager
- Black Lager
- Vienna Lager
- Striped Bass Pale Ale
- Eight Point IPA
Make it a winning combination with some nibbles from Auntie Alice’s Kettle Corn & Pretzels or Chipotle Bacon Beer Nuts from Kings Nuts & Teas.
4. Meet your neighbor – you never know what can happen! We already know of two romances that started in line at the Bacon Festival. Some ice-breakers to get you started:
- Would you ever eat pickled pig’s feet?
- What’s your favorite neighborhood park? (Did you know that Enrichmond has over 30 Friends groups connected to City parks?)
- Do you volunteer anywhere in the city? (Enrichmond has volunteer opportunities that vary from cemetery clean-ups at historic Evergreen to running beer crew at our Festivals.)
- Which Devils Backbone have you tried today?
5. Chair Check Service – FREE!
This year we’re providing a new Chair Check service for your lawn chairs. Don’t want to tote your lawn chair around after you watch Dance Candy? Come on over to the Enrichmond tent and ask one of our friendly volunteers for a ticket in exchange for holding onto your chair.
6. Call your Dad – wish him Happy Father’s Day!
Bacon Festival is happening on Father’s Day this year – if you couldn’t bring your dad along to enjoy the bacon, give him a call while you’re in line and wish him a Happy Father’s Day.
7. Enjoy the Kids’ Zone
This year we’re featuring seed planting, coloring books, and other activities at the Kids’ Zone – right next to the Enrichmond and Volunteer Tents. Although we ask that you remain with your kiddos while they enjoy the activities, bring a friend along to fetch the beers and bacon goodies.